Monday, January 15, 2007

Inexplicable, Undescribable, Undeserved Grace

In the past few week, God has been revealing so much to me about His grace. It seems like everywhere I go, especially in the past week, the focus is on grace. It started with our small group, and then that afternoon I picked up Praying God's Word, which is about using God's Word and relying on God's grace to break strongholds in our lives. And then church yesterday was about "relationship versus religion", and our pastor strongly emphasized that the Christian life is not about rule-following.

The most awesome illustration of God's grace for me, and one I don't think I will ever forget, was from the video that came from the Seeking God Bible study our small group is doing. The speaker talked about our choice between going to Mount Sinai (where the Law/the Ten Commandments were handed down) or to Mount Calvary (where Jesus died on the cross). Although it's obviously figurative, I just can't get that picture out of my head.

When I struggle with a persistent sin – impatience and pride come to mind – I can choose to go to Mount Sinai in my own strength and try, try, try to follow the Law. But I will fail. On the other hand, I can choose to fall on my knees before Mount Calvary, and that's where grace and victory is found!

I'm sure I'm not explaining it as well as this speaker did, but it's been a truly life-changing principle for me!

Then I come home and start reading Beth Moore's Praying God's Word, and although she doesn't use the same illustration, it is all about relying on God to change us rather than on our own strength.

This has always been a struggle for me because it feels like such a cop-out to say, "God, I can't change myself. You change me." I mean, I don't think He expects us to just sit back and wait for the lightning bolt from Heaven to change us. BUT in reading Praying God's Word, I think I have a new understanding of it. It's not that we should just sit around on our butts waiting for Him to change us. While there are many areas where we can't change ourselves (strongholds, if you will), what we CAN actively do is pray through God's Word, crying out for Him to meet us where we're at (at the foot of Mount Calvary).

No comments: