Saturday, January 06, 2007

While I'm at it...

One of my all time favorite Bible stories is Noah and the Ark. There are a few verses in this story that to me tell the whole story (and none of them has to do with the actual flood or the ark), and every time I read them, they make me pause and think...

Genesis 6:8
But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

Genesis 6:22
This Noah did; according to all that God commanded him, so he did.

Genesis 7:16
...went in as God commanded him; and the Lord shut him in. (Wow, I love that verse...the Lord shut him in...that is my favorite phrase in the entire Bible)

Genesis 8:1
Then God remembered Noah.

The first two verses reflect Noah's character. He found grace or favor in the eyes of the Lord because he was upright, and he – like Abraham – was quick to obey...not only quickly but completely as well.

The second two reflect God's love and care for us...He shut Noah in the ark for protection and provision in the midst of chaos, suffering and destruction. I can think of so many times that He has figuratively "shut me in" in the midst of these things as well, my miscarriages in particular.

No comments: